One way we live out our mission “Listening – Loving – Living” is by reaching out to our community and the world in various ways. We want to help improve the lives, the “living,” of those around us, both near and far. Some of the ways we reach are are…
- Alabaster: At least once a year we participate in what is called the Alabaster Offering. It is an offering that is collected through the Nazarene denomination for the construction of buildings around the world. Since it began in 1949 well over 8,000 churches, hospitals, clinics, missionary homes, and the like have been constructed from funds raised through this excellent initiative.
- Family Promise: is a ministry with which we partner that helps families to move from homelessness to sustainable self-sufficiency. At least once a year we host a group of families, providing them a place to sleep and food to eat while we enjoy their company at our facility. For more information about how to help (by volunteering, donating food, clothing, or funds) contact the church office.
- The Haiti Water Project: Haiti is the most water impoverished nation in the world, a problem that can be solved. For several years now we have partnered with this incredible organization, a part of Nazarene Compassionate Ministries, to help provide clean, safe water for communities in Haiti.
- Crisis Care Kits. At least once a year we make a push to put together Crisis Care Kits, bags of essentials for people around the globe who face disaster of some kind. We usually make these as our way of celebrating St. Valentine’s Day. St. Valentine was an early Christian Martyr who was known to help oppressed Christians in Rome.
- Several times a year we take a group to help put together food boxed with Feed My Starving Children.
- We operate a clothes closet and food pantry ministry to the neighborhood. Weekly we gather clothing, food, and hygiene products. Our closet is open on the first and third Saturdays of each month from 9am to noon.
- We are developing our land in two ways: (1) fields so that sports teams in South Scottsdale have a place to practice and play an (2) a community garden. These are still in the early stages of development but things are beginning to fall into place. We hope to begin use of the fields and the garden by the Spring of 2014.
- More to come. Our outreach team has a great many ideas and hopes for the future – there will be much more to come in the future! We are exploring ways we might partner with local and international partners. We strive to be listening and loving people who help bring life to those around us!